Monday, April 13, 2009

Coins - worth the gold

´ Monedas´ are worth of gold here.
They come in any shapes and sizes (5, 10, 25, 50), that represent Centavos. They litterally of course dont mean you are rich if you have them, but if you don´t .... you can not ride a bus.







As I already mentioned, buses operate only on coins (or sometimes if you are lucky you find a guy who sells tickets on the bus stop for paper money, but this is rare). You tell the destination to the bus driver, and he tells you how much you need to pay. Then you throw coins in the machine and get the ticket. The problem is, that as people here rely on public transport, as distances are huge, coins are a luxury. You ask for coins in shops or bars when you pay with bills, but it is very difficult to get them. People also stand in lines in the bank, also for half an hour, to get coins for 5 pesos. Ridiculus if if you ask me, speacially for such a large city. I read somewhere that city is now thinking of changing the system to a more user friendly. I hope they do. But as this system work like this for years, nobody seems to be in a hurry.



I have only 80 centavos now in my pocket... I hope to get some monedas when I pay today for my coffee:)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hvala da nas obveščaš :)
    as we would be traveling with you....
    so actually you're never alone on the road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miha ti imas itak cast, da lahko spremljas dva bloga... tud unga v slovenscini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola!
    Pero con monedas pagas el caffe? No tienen otro dinero?
    Javi se mi kaj, smrk, smrk...
    Katarina

    ReplyDelete